For your own safety, it is most important that all drivers become familiar with the Australian road rules. Please find below some of the main rules and safety points to consider when driving.
- Keep to the left hand side of the road.
- All occupants in the vehicle must wear a seat belt.
- Carry a valid driver’s licence in English or an International Drivers Permit alongside your national driver’s licence.
- Drive no faster than the speed limit indicated on the speed limit signs.
- At a roundabout all traffic must proceed in a clockwise. A vehicle already on a roundabout has right of way over any vehicles entering.
- Drivers must have an alcohol reading of less than 0.05 for experienced drivers. Provisional drivers and young drivers may not have any alcohol before driving.
- Always overtake to the right. Be sure you can see enough of the road to complete overtaking and move back to the left hand side of the road (even on over taking lanes). Never overtake on corners, blind rises or on double white lines. When overtaking heavy vehicles in wet weather, beware of wind turbulence and wheel spray causing a reduction in visibility. Allow plenty of space behind you when pulling back in after passing a truck. Trucks are unable to stop as quickly as cars, especially when carrying heavy loads.
- Fatigue causes many crashes in Australia. When driving long distances, stop and rest every 2 hours.
- Take note and follow the recommended speed signs on winding roads.
- Take care and be alert when driving to avoid a collison with either a native, farm or domestic animal. It is best to drive during the day and avoid dusk until dawn. Many animals are nocturnal or are more active when the sun is low and the temperature is cooler.
- Campervans & motorhomes can be double the height and length of sedan vehicles. Keep an eye out for height indicator signs at low level crossings or car parks. Remember that overhanging tree branches may also affect where you can drive.
Prepare your day’s driving and how long it will take to get there. Read more…