A Guide To Parking In Hobart & Surrounding Areas
One of the most frequently asked questions at Cruisin’ is, “where do we park in Hobart city?” Often it can be a little daunting to find a space to leave your motorhome during the day, especially with the height restrictions on undercover car parks.
Inner city car parks in Hobart will set you back roughly $5 an hour. Hobart is an extremely accessible city, so you might find it more convenient to leave your motorhome a little out of the city and walk to your destination.
Here’s a guide to where you can leave your motorhome when exploring Hobart and the inner-city attractions.
Salamanca Place (On-Street Parking)
If you’re exploring Salamanca on any day other than a Saturday (when the market is in full swing) Salamanca Place offers plenty of open parking suitable for leaving a motorhome. Get there early in the morning to secure a spot. You’re looking at about $5 an hour in Salamanca. Parking inspectors patrol the area 7 days a week.
Morrison Street Parking
If you’re wanting to explore the wharf, piers, parks and restaurants of Salamanca, Morrison Street Parking has some great 2-hour, motorhome friendly parking –it is essential you get there early, especially on market day!
Regatta Grounds Car Park
Just a short walk from the Hobart CBD and historical Salamanca precinct you will find the Regatta Grounds Car Park, a convenient open-air parking location for those travelling with a motorhome. The parking facility is open 24/7, a 2-hour time limit and fees apply from 8:30 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday.
Dunn Place is another convenient location for parking with a motorhome and is centrally located for exploring the city and surrounds. The car park is open at all hours but has a 3-hour time limit between 8:30 am and 5 pm, 7 days a week. This is a great car park for visiting the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (TMAG) or exploring the waterfront and floating docks.
Condell Place and Lefroy Street Car Parks (North Hobart)
Visitors planning to explore the boutiques and eateries of North Hobart can leave their motorhome at Condell Place Car Park with easy access to the main road. There is a 3-hour parking limit and fees apply from 8:30 am until 6:00 pm, Monday to Sunday. Lefroy Street is another option in North Hobart. This car park has a 3-hour limit from 8:30am to 10:00pm.
TCA North, Domain Road and Aberdeen Car Parks
Located at the Domain just a 15-minute walk from the city centre, TCA North and Aberdeen Car Parks are great options for day parking. The car park is open 24 hours and has no time limit. Fees apply from 8:30 am until 6 pm Monday to Friday.
On-street parking in Sandy Bay or Battery Point
If you’re looking for free on-street parking than your best bet would be to navigate the suburbs surrounding the city. The scenic suburbs of Battery Point and Sandy Bay are just a hop, skip and the jump from the city and offer free on-street parking. Make sure you check the time limits and avoid parking near the university due to frequent inspections.
Tips for Parking in Hobart:
- All inner-city voucher machines now work through coin, card, apple pay or online payment.
- Be sure to thoroughly check what bay number you are parked before paying.
- Download the EasyPark App – this is a convenient way to pay for and monitor your parking. Plus, you only pay for what you need versus spending additional dollars for those ‘just incase’ moments.
- If you require disabled parking, there is plenty around the city. More information can be found here.
- Arrive early to secure the best parking sites.
- Avoid undercover parking (at all costs!) to prevent damage to the overhead of the motorhome.
- If you do find a parking ticket stuck on your windscreen, please settle the fine straight away by following the instructions on the ticket. The fine can be paid directly over the phone by credit card.
This information was sourced in Feb 2022. The above information is just a guide and does not guarantee anything. Please check signage thoroughly before parking.