Travelling With Kids In Tasmania: A Family Motorhome Adventure
Exploring Tasmania with the kids in tow? Get ready to discover a perfect blend of nature, history, and family-friendly attractions on a road trip from Hobart!
Tasmania is one of Australia’s best-kept secrets and offers an abundance of family-friendly experiences, making it an ideal destination if you’re seeking a blend of excitement and relaxation. From the rugged beauty of Cradle Mountain to the charming streets of Richmond, each stop offers a taste of the island’s charm.
Get set for an unforgettable trip through Tasmania’s wild landscapes!
Top Places to Visit In Tasmania With Kids
Hobart: Thrifty Family Adventures
Hobart offers an array of budget family-friendly activities that won’t break the bank. Plan a day trip and climb Mount Wellington, spend a morning wandering through the vibrant Salamanca Market, picnic in the Botanical Gardens, and immerse yourselves in the quirky art at MONA. There are so many family experiences in Hobart waiting to be discovered!
Port Arthur, Tourism Tasmania
Port Arthur: Time-Traveling Experience
Take a couple of days to travel down the coast and step back in time at Port Arthur, where the captivating remnants of the convict era await exploration. There’s plenty more to see and do in the area – trust us, an itinerary is a must-have whilst you’re down this way!
Richmond: Georgian Charms
Ready to head north? Add Richmond to your list of pitstops! Richmond, with its Georgian-style buildings-turned-venues, has a range of cafes and galleries that are well worth visiting.
Whilst you’re here, you won’t want to miss the historic Richmond Gaol. Spend the morning running through colonial courtyards and stock up your motorhome at the delightful Sweets and Treats lolly shop before you hit the road again!
Quadrant Mall Launceston, Tourism Tasmania
Launceston: Adventures Galore
From the picturesque Cataract Gorge to the interactive Phenomena Factory exhibition at the QVMAG, Launceston offers a variety of budget-friendly activities for an adventure-filled day of family fun. Round off the afternoon with an hour or two to play at the ever-popular Riverbend Park.
Both the Gorge and Riverbend are free to enter!
Overland Track, Blake Lisk – Pillar Creative
Cradle Mountain: Nature's Wonderland
For an immersion in nature and a day of family fun, head to Cradle Mountain. Here you can marvel at rainforests, river gorges, and alpine vistas. Make sure you keep an eye out for local wildlife like wombats and echidnas – and if you’re lucky you may even catch a glimpse of the ever-elusive wild platypus!
Platypus House, Tourism Tasmania
Beauty Point: Riverside Wonders
A popular day trip from Launceston, drive up to Beauty Point for a day of unique encounters in a charming riverside town.
You can’t miss Seahorse World and Platypus House whilst you’re here, so get ready to spend your day immersed indoors with some of Tasmania’s most interesting and elusive animals!
Freycinet National Park: Coastal Delights
With iconic sandy beaches, turquoise waters, and family-friendly walks, Freycinet National Park, especially Cape Tourville, promises fun and adventure for all ages.
You’ll want to pack plenty of snacks and a tasty picnic lunch!
The Nut Chairlift, Lusy Productions
Stanley: Seaside Serenity
Take the trip towards Devonport (making sure you visit Latrobe on the way), and stop to discover the peaceful seaside allure of Stanley and its iconic Munatrik – AKA the Nut! Walk the trail or catch the chairlift up for a chance to see panoramic views.
At sunset, head down to the beach for your chance to meet the local penguin population!
Tasmazia, Tourism Australia
Top Family-Friendly Attractions
- Tasman National Park's: Soaring seacliffs and monumental rock formations
- Russell Falls: A local treasure and a must-see for any traveller
- Bonorong Wildlife Park: A chance to see a diverse range of rescued wildlife up close
- Salmon Ponds Heritage Hatchery & Gardens: Wander through the oldest trout hatchery in the southern hemisphere
- Tahune Adventures: Home of the airwalk, eagle glider, and swinging bridges
- Hastings Cave & Thermal Springs: A day to tour the caves, swim in thermal springs, and relax with a picnic
- Penny Royal Launceston: Rugged cliff walks, rock climbing, zip-lining, boat rides, and a chance to step back into the gold rush era
- Tasmania Zoo: Meet Tasmania’s largest collection of native and exotic wildlife
- Tamar Valley Wetlands: Meander through the otherworldy wetlands near Launceston
- Hollybank Wilderness Adventures: Experience Tasmania’s first high ropes course
- Don River Railway: One of the last operational trains in the state
- Tasmazia: One of Australia’s most whimsical attractions
- Grindelwald: Play minigolf in an entirely different world
Best Playgrounds In Tasmania
- Riverbend Park, Launceston
- Simmons Park, Lindisfarne
- Kingston Park, Kingston
- Dru Point Park, Margate
Best Family-Friendly Beaches In Tasmania
- Wineglass Bay Beach, Freycinet National Park
- Friendly Beaches, Freycinet National Park
- Greens Beach, Greens Beach
- Coles Beach, Devonport
- Boat Harbour Beach, Boat Harbour
- Godfreys Beach, Stanley
- West Strahan Beach, Strahan
- Kingston Beach, Hobart
- Clifton Beach, Hobart
- Seven Mile Beach, Hobart
- White Beach, White Beach
House of Anvers, Tourism Australia
Food & Drink for Kids In Tasmania
Indulge yourself in culinary treats that are perfect for the whole family:
- St Helens Bakery Savouries & Sweets: Or really any local bakery across the state!
- Stephens Apiary's Leatherwood Honey: Delightful sweetness from Mole Creek.
- Somercotes Cherries: Enjoy fresh juicy cherries and an assortment of snacks.
- Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm's Raspberry Ice-Cream: A refreshing treat in Deloraine.
- Glenburn Orchards or Millers Orchard Apples: Discover why Tasmania is called the Apple Isle!
- Ashgrove Cheese & Fresh Ice-Cream: Savory cheese and creamy delights.
- Anvers Chocolate Factory's Chocolate: A treat for young and old.
- Hazelbrae's Fresh Hazelnut Products: Taste the hazelnutty goodness at Hagley.
Set Off On Your Family Motorhome Road Trip In Tasmania!
It’s time to pack the kids and discover why Tasmania is one of Australia’s best-kept secrets and popular destinations for families.
Need some more tips for travelling with kids? Check out our parent’s guide to motorhome travel in Australia!