Terms You Need to Know for Your Camper Adventure

If you’re a first time traveller, the world of campervan hire may be completely foreign. Here are some terms to familiarise yourself with before travelling in a Cruisin’ campervan or motorhome.

Awning: Selected motorhomes have an attached awning (or sunshade) for the purpose of providing shade. This feature is attached to the side of the motorhome and should only be used in fine weather conditions.

Audio Visual DVD: All campervans and motorhomes are supplied with a video demonstration of all each feature in the motorhome operates. This is to guarantee guests peace of mind while they are out on the road.

Black Water: Black water refers to the waste water from toilets. All Cruisin’ motorhomes have an on board toilet for convenience. The black water from the toilet cassette must be emptied into a black water dump point at every available opportunity.

Dinette Bed: Most campervans and motorhomes have at least one dinette bed on board. The dinette bed is a living area that can be converted to a bed at night by removing the table top to form the base of a bed and using the seating cushions to complete the mattress.

Grey Water: Grey water refers to the water waste that result from wash-hand basins, showers and baths. This water can be recycled for purposes such as landscape irrigation. All camper’s come with a kitchen sink and most with a shower.

Grey Water Outlet: The grey water outlet refers to the point on the motorhome where the grey water tank is emptied. All motorhomes are supplied with a grey water hose to attach to this outlet  to empty the tank into grey water waste facilities at selected camp grounds.

LPG: LP gas are gases that are used as fuel in heating appliances and cooking equipment. All campers come equipped with at least 1 LP gas bottle secured in an outside compartment. This gas bottle needs to be turned on before using the hot water system and gas stove.

Overcab Bed: Some motorhomes have an overcab bed, or a bed located directly above the driver’s cabin. This is a permanent bed that can be accessed by a supplied step or ladder.

Powered Camp Site: This refers to a camping site that offers electricity that allows you to power the 240 volt battery in your motorhome. Cruisin’ recommends that all campervans and motorhomes connect to a powered site at least every second night.

Water Pump: The water pump in the motorhome allows the water to be raised and circulated and can be turned on via an onboard switch. Water can be found in the motorhome via the kitchen and bathroom taps and shower.

Water Heater: Before hot water can be accessed in the shower, the water heater must be activated. There are two different types of water heaters that can be found in your motorhome known as either the ‘Suburban’ or ‘Truma’ systems featured below.

12 Volt Battery: Motorhomes and campers have two types of batteries. The first is the 12 volt battery that provides electricity to start the engine and ignite the fuel and operates the on board lights, fridge, windshield wiper, water pump, television and water heater.

240 Volt Battery/Mains Type Voltage:  All campervans and motorhomes must be connected to a powered site at least every second night to charge the 240 volt battery. This charges the house battery and allows you to use the on-board heater system, microwave and power points. You must connect to this type of site to ensure the battery does not go flat.

3-Way Fridge: A 3 way fridge is a cooling system that operates three ways: via LP Gas, 12 volt power and mains power.

12 Volt Switch: This refers to a switch that must be in the ‘on’ position in order to work the 12 volt battery appliances (including the lights, fridge, water pump, water heater and television).

Related Blog Posts